This Saturday is Small Business Saturday. Pull on your shopping shoes and get out to the local businesses that make Milwaukee an amazing place to live and work.
Lela is proud to be a small business, owned and run by the people who love and live in the city of Milwaukee. Here are a few reasons why shopping small doesn't just mean you come home with some amazing gifts for friends and family.
1. You'll help to create jobs in the community. According to the Small Business Administration, small businesses have provided 55 percent of all jobs and 66 percent of all new jobs since the 1970s.
2. Your tax dollars stay in Milwaukee. Civic Economics found that 48 percent of purchases at local independent businesses go right back to the community, as opposed to 14 percent made at chain stores.
3. Small businesses give back to Milwaukee. It goes beyond writing a check. Small businesses develop partnerships and strengthen ties with people in our community.
4. Shopping at just one local business, helps others. When you stop at one local business, you're likely to check out others on your shopping trip, or purchase items made locally.
5. Your gifts will be one-of-a-kind. Small businesses allow you to escape mass produced items found at big box chain retailers. You'll find an amazing, locally made gift that will knock your significant other's socks off.
6. It helps to keep Milwaukee diverse. We all make runs to the big box retailers. But what if that was our only shopping option? By participating in Small Business Saturday, you're ensuring independent business continue to thrive, and add to the diversity of Milwaukee.