The first day of spring is right around the corner and along with more seasonable temperatures comes the dreaded task of spring closet cleaning. Lela found some fabulous tips to help get your closet in shape this spring!
1. Designate a staging area and empty your closet out. You can use your bed or a cleared-out corner of the room. This important step requires you to remove everything: Clothes, hangers, boxes, folded blankets or piles of old magazines.
2. Organize items into specific categories and take inventory. Get rid of anything you haven't worn in more than a year, or that's two sizes too big or too small. This is where Lela comes in -- make a donate, toss, and Lela pile! Review our guidelines below for more details.
3. Now that everything is out, clean the closet itself. While you might think an empty closet is "clean", now is the time to wipe down the closet walls and vacuum or mop the closet floor.
4. Once you have whittled down your wardrobe, you need to figure out the layout of your closet. Measure the space you have and use every square inch of your closet. Hang shoe racks on the back of your closet door, classic belt hangers are a good solution for hanging camisoles, bras, or scarves.
5. For the tops you are keeping, hang them up if you have space for it. The more you see, the more you will wear.
6. Fold heavy sweaters so they don't lose shape on the hanger.
7. Start this now for next year! Turn all the hangers in your closet backwards. Whenever you wear something, replace the hanger the right way. In a year, give away every piece of clothing still hanging on a backwards hanger.
Back to #2, what should you do with your "Lela" pile? Lela accepts inventory on Tuesday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. or by appointment. Clothes must be on hangers, in near perfect condition, cleaned and pressed. The more unique the piece, the more likely it will sell at Lela! Dresses, jackets, shoes and denim sell the best for us. Pricing will reflect market standards, usually 35-45% original price. 40% of the price of merchandise sold will accrue in your personal in-store account.
Happy spring, and happy spring cleaning!